You don’t need to look far for summer fun, adventure and a few ideas to fill up all those summer hours. We have some pretty fantastic options to beat the heat, spray up some fun and just try something new in the neighbourhood.
Some family bucket list ideas
- ‘Late night’ treats – PJ the kids up and the hit your scooters or bikes and head down to the Nourish Market (closes at 7 p.m.), Mountain Market (closes most nights at 9 p.m.) or End of the Line, (closes at 8 p.m./9 p.m. weekends) for a ‘late night’ ice cream or candy run.
- The Ultimate water fight – Thursday afternoons at Karen Magnussen pool welcome water guns and super soakers from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Pick up the $25 Pool and Play Pass is the best deal for summer fun on the North Shore. It gives youth access to public swims, open gyms, public skates and table tennis. It can be used at all North Van Rec Centres.
- Hot Summer Night – July 19 6:30-8 p.m.* – The District of North Vancouver Fire Rescue Services will be at Lynn Valley Park for a meet and greet and some spray fun – bring your swimsuit. *Equipment may be delayed/depart early for emergency calls. There are other nights throughout the North Shore and summer.
- Grab a rod – Head up to Rice Lake and try your hand at fishing. It is one of Metro Vancouver’s lakes stocked with trout (the last release was June 17). If you are new to angling there are often people willing to offer tips and tricks and share their love of fishing while trying their luck on the fishing dock. This is also a great trail for families – the bike-free and dog-free trial can be a safe haven for toddlers.
- Embrace the night – talk a walk through our forests. Pick up a glow stick, pack a headlamp but head outside at dusk. Listen to the forest, breathe and slow the day down. It is a great way to cool off and you may experience Lynn Valley in a way you have not.
- Play Big Games -Thursday Nights, starting July 5th – 4:15-8:15 p.m. – Big Games will be laid out in the Lynn Valley Village Plaza. Come with your kids and enjoy Snakes & Ladders, Checkers, Dominos & Tumbling Tower and other backyard games together.
Summer buckets for everyone
- Tackle the Lynn Valley Link – Spearheaded by the Lynn Valley Community Association, this trail circumnavigating Lynn Valley is a great way to try some new routes and seeing parts of the neighbourhood that might not be your day to day path. The route is divided into sections between two and four kilometres for a total perimeter route of 14.6 km trek.
- Frisbee, bocce, blanket – Lynn Valley Park’s central location is an oasis of sun-drenched green. The Mountain Highway green-space is a bit of a place to see and be seen for sunbaking youth. The field is the perfect place to enjoy an afternoon of outdoor games. Why not head to a playground – don’t head to your neighbourhood school try out one of the five in the area.
- Dance the night away – The North Vancouver Rec Live and Local evenings will rock Lynn Valley Village every Wednesday (6-8 p.m.) and Saturdays (7-9 p.m.). This ongoing community event offers diverse music and chance to connect with friends in the heart of Lynn Valley.
- Head down the mountain – Lynn Valley is one of the world’s most famous mountain biking destinations. We have it on our doorstep. If you don’t have a bike of your own or you want to try a different style, there are a number of rental shops on the North Shore including our own Lynn Valley Bikes. There are trails for all abilities – check out Trailforks.
- Join the Mountain Pals – The North Vancouver Museum and Archives is hosting free history walks in Lynn Canyon. The drop-in walks in Lynn Canyon Park are offered Wednesdays and Thursdays from July 5 to August 23 at 11 am and 1:30 pm. Meet across from the Lynn Canyon Café.